The Official EXODUS Forum

THE BONDED BY BLOOD CULT
It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 850 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: MAD AT SAM
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:14 pm 
the psycho moderator

Heathen at The Pound SF
Stephen Henderson
08/24/2005 - 20:36:42

I have been lucky enough to go to a lot of shows this year so many, that I've lost count. Last Saturday nights show was without a doubt on of the most outstanding ones I have been to this year. I would have to say that it was a close second only to this year Ozz Fest. There was one thing that could have made this show any better, a packed house, free booze, a willing woman. Ok, so that was three things, two of which are pipe dreams, if you know what I mean. Anyway, I would have to say that there were maybe 100 people at that epic show, why so few came is a mystery to me. Perhaps it was on account of Ozz Fest being just the week before?

Whatever the reasons for those of us who were there, we were treated to a metal show of nearly apocalyptic per portions. I guess I could have settled on just saying that it was a great show but, that would have been too easy and I want you to know that you missed something special that night. What made this show in my opinion, were the bands that managed to get on the bill with Heathen. Bands who have varied musical styles combined with the order that they went on, laid the foundation for steadily building to a climax "Heathen." That's right you know how I like it B....sorry I wandered off the point again.

The first band that took the stage was the east bays Mad at Sam, a great Punk flavored Metal band whose song's lyric's are mostly about their take on what is wrong with this country and our people's priorities. For those of you who haven't seen this band, you need to know that they are not in any way anti American, they are just anti stupidity. Fronted by Larry Hatchett and backed by Rick Fitzsimmons - Guitar/Vocals, Gene Jones - Drums and Matt Orr on Bass. The put on a 30-min show that is both frenetic and a wall of sound. Simply they just kicked some ass and left me wishing that they had more time to play.Next up was a band I know very little about called Jungle Rooster. I was told that they play a variety of covers tunes. This night they played a 30 minute set consisting of there own material. They are solid musicians whose songs have an old school Hard Rock feel. They looked as they were really having fun on stage. Fronted by Dan Mc Cutcheon and backed by Jason Jacklich / Guitar, Jerry Willams on Bass and Rich Lund on Drums. These guys are the very definition of real pros.

Potential Threat, What can I say about this band that I haven't already said in previous show articles. This has to have been the 12th time I have seen them this year, they never get old; never seem to have a bad show. Each and every time they play, they put on a brutal assault of hard core aggression. They revived the pit starting with their first song called Day of Infamy and kept the momentum going to the end of their set. Lately they ask audience members to come on stage to sing the chorus for a song called Walk Threw Fire, staffer Darien and I, along with one other hard core fan took them up on their offer. I suspect that might be the last time they do that because in my opinion we sucked. But, I have to say that it was cool to scream, "my fist in your face” over and over just the same.

Then it was Kaos among us. Fucking Kaos these guys destroy every time I see them, I think this has to be the fourth time I've seen them, I have said it before and I'll say it again, these guys are one of the best unsigned acts in the bay area. Ironically two others bands that belong in that group are on tonight’s bill as well! (I will leave you to guess who they are). I have run out of words to describe the show that they put on, the energy, the music and brutal sensory assault. I like their music so much that it is becoming impossible for me to review them and maintain any objectivity that is required to pass on to you what their show was like. I can not sit and observe them when the play. I find myself drawn into the pit and the next thing I know it is over. I am sure you all reading this can relate to what I am saying. So for now on when I see them it will be just for pleasure and not for work, if I can call what I do work.

San Francisco's Passive Aggressive plays a style of music is best described as a mixture of old school heavy metal / metal / black metal. They are a trio fronted by a guy that goes by the name of Wolfgang who also does all the shredding on the guitar. I went to their web sites so I could get the names of the bass player and drummer but, I am not sure that they are the same guys that played in this show. (Darien is doing an interview with this band soon so those holes in this review will be filled in by her for you) I think that their name is a good description of their style of play. They fill the room with big heavy grinding riffs then shift gears into very aggressive attack. All of their songs were great and they have a unique style that sets them apart from every band I have seen this year which is refreshing. I am really looking forward to seeing them play again.

One of the real surprises of the night for me was, Embers of Euphoria. I have to admit that when I first heard that they got the slot going on just before Heathen,I was perplexed as to why. They are a relatively new band consisting of guys that play in multiple cover bands. None of that mattered after they took to the stage and then just proceeded to kick ass. Their musical style is a decidedly modern version of the metal you would hear back in the day when bands like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden ruled the airwaves. Their line up consisted of; Brenden Raye on vocals, and Mark Kazorowski (an inhuman shred machine) on lead guitars. With Blood Eagle on drums, Jared Agius on bass guitar.

They also had another guitar player whose name I didn’t get and he wasn’t listed on their web sit, so who ever he was, he was great. Brenden, also fronts a Judas Priest cover band called Screaming for Vengeance, ( so that should give you some idea the vocal power and range he has) possess all the necessary swagger a front man needs to engage and captivate the audience. The rhythm section was every bit as solid as you need to be to pull off this kind off this style of music. Marks guitar clinic was a site that you will have to witness for yourself at there next outing. I hope that they decide to start pursuing this side project of theirs on a full time basis and play more shows.

Heathen's set was everything that anyone who came to see them would want it to be. Heathen has been through a lot of personnel changes since I have last seen them play. So much so that like with Exodus, It is hard to keep up with who is in the band. I went to their web site to shed some light on this before the show and it didn't help me all that much. As far as I can figure the most recent changes have been a new bass player John Torres, who replaced Mike Jazstremski who passed away earlier this year and a new guitarist Terry Lauderdale who replaced Ira Black. Dave White, vocals, Lee Altus,( I remember that reading a press release awhile ago that Lee is playing with Exodus) on guitar and Darren Minter on drums. I hope to do an interview with Heathen soon so I will get to the bottom of this for us.

Heathen opened with Hypnotized off of their latest release called "Recovered," Dave has arguably has one of the best voices in aggression metal and what I mean by that is he can flat out sing. His vocals are articulate and have decent rage which is a rare commodity these days. He also possesses the one thing all the great front men have and that is the charisma to hold his audience in the palm of his hands. The second thing that becomes apparent to me ( being a bass player) is their bass player John, who's glowering facial expressions of menace, looked to be ready at any moment to use his bass to chop down any in the unworthy in the crowd that should displease him. That dude has got some major chops and it was a pleasure watching him do his thing.

After treating the audience to a killer new song called Arrows, they jumped into a song called Pray for Death, It was then that it really hit me what unbelievable shredding machines Terry and Lee are. As it happened I was standing stage right, so I was afforded a great view of Terry doing his thing and man it was an awe-inspiring site. You know, in the kind of one that when you were a kid, it made you decide to pick up the guitar and start your own band inspiring.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention Darren’s stellar work on his kit, after all it is the bottom end that really drives this music and sets the table for the rest of the band. He just kick ass all night. Some of the other highlights of the show were, when they played Breaking the Silence and near the end of the show when they brought someone up on stage to play guitar on the last a couple of songs one which I believe was called Black Sun. Being the pro that I am I didn’t get his name. I will find that out and up date you on that in the Heathen interview...Peace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:31 pm 
Fabulous Disaster

Me and Larry. *beerbang*

MAD AT SAM KICK MAJOR ASS. :twisted:

*banger*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:15 pm 
Deranged
 WWW  Profile

Here's Larry on drums when I jammed with the band.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:40 pm 
Fabulous Disaster

I got a quick tour of the studio with Larry. *beerbang*
Took one pic of the banner. 8)

*banger*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:23 pm 
the administrator

Here's another good pic of Larry even though it's been posted before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:30 pm 
the psycho moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:37 pm 
the administrator

I have a ton too. I'm not sure what I've posted before since it's all gone, so I'll just post what I have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:48 pm 
the administrator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:55 pm 
the administrator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:01 pm 
the administrator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:21 pm 
the administrator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:28 pm 
the administrator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:43 pm 
the administrator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:51 pm 
the administrator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:59 pm 
the administrator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:08 pm 
the administrator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:12 pm 
the administrator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:35 pm 
the administrator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:43 pm 
the administrator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:47 pm 
the administrator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:39 pm 
the administrator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:42 pm 
the administrator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:51 pm 
the administrator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:39 pm 
the administrator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:55 pm 
the administrator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:45 pm 
the administrator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:27 pm 
the administrator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:33 pm 
the administrator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:36 pm 
the administrator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:39 pm 
the administrator

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 850 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29  Next