The Official EXODUS Forum

THE BONDED BY BLOOD CULT
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 592 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: SLAYER Recruits EXODUS Guitarist GARY HOLT For Upcoming Tour
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:45 am 
Whipping Queen

cwilder86 wrote:

I don't argue with you one bit that the big 4 would be a million times better with Exodus instead of Metallica, but unfortunately it's all about record sales. We can argue with other people till we're blue in the face that Exodus trumps Metallica, but we can't argue with record sales unfortunately... Fact is Metallica have out sold Exodus by ALOT. Do I have less respect for Metallica for how they got those record sales? By selling out and changing their sound to become more radio friend? Absolutely. That's why Exodus will always be the better band. The closest Exodus ever got to selling out was Force Of Habit, and that album still rules. They may have slowed the tempos down a bit, but it was still a good album, IMO.

What is selling out? Changing your music to a different audience? No. Selling out is what you when stay stale and play the same old song way too many times, hearing on record after record after record. Do you know how boring that to be? It's no surprise that I can barely tolerate Slayer with a few songs, yet their entire catalogue keeps on repeating the same lyrics with riffs that have been used before and put into other songs. Where is the fun in that? And I'll be honest, but Reign In Blood, the one album that got everyone's pants in a bunch, DID NOT IMPRESS ME ONE BIT. I wasn't sure why sees it as this legendary classic that cannot be stopped. I hate the lyrics (specifically Angel Of Death, a song that I hate with a passion lyrically), but at least bits and pieces of the music Slayer creates is fine, but not always. Whatever some people out today see Slayer in, I'll never know. I'm sure they are really decent, honest guys to hang out with and I hope I get to find that out when I meet him.

But Metallica hasn't sold out. They've always been a band who is willing to grow after The Justice album. They wanted to try something new and different, so they did. It earned them millions and that's great. Changing their music or their hairstyles and clothes...that's all fucking retarded reasoning. I hate it when fans clash on which is better, old and new, because there's certainly nothing wrong with either style. I love Metallica and if people want to hate me for it liking albums like Load or Reload, that's fine by me, but I don't march to the beat of others, but my own instead. IF Metallica did sell out, they would have been staying in the past, trying to make nothing but the four records in the 80s over and over again. If that happened, I would have not liked Metallica for it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:00 pm 
Fabulous Disaster

ED24 wrote:
cwilder86 wrote:

I don't argue with you one bit that the big 4 would be a million times better with Exodus instead of Metallica, but unfortunately it's all about record sales. We can argue with other people till we're blue in the face that Exodus trumps Metallica, but we can't argue with record sales unfortunately... Fact is Metallica have out sold Exodus by ALOT. Do I have less respect for Metallica for how they got those record sales? By selling out and changing their sound to become more radio friend? Absolutely. That's why Exodus will always be the better band. The closest Exodus ever got to selling out was Force Of Habit, and that album still rules. They may have slowed the tempos down a bit, but it was still a good album, IMO.

What is selling out? Changing your music to a different audience? No. Selling out is what you when stay stale and play the same old song way too many times, hearing on record after record after record. Do you know how boring that to be? It's no surprise that I can barely tolerate Slayer with a few songs, yet their entire catalogue keeps on repeating the same lyrics with riffs that have been used before and put into other songs. Where is the fun in that? And I'll be honest, but Reign In Blood, the one album that got everyone's pants in a bunch, DID NOT IMPRESS ME ONE BIT. I wasn't sure why sees it as this legendary classic that cannot be stopped. I hate the lyrics (specifically Angel Of Death, a song that I hate with a passion lyrically), but at least bits and pieces of the music Slayer creates is fine, but not always. Whatever some people out today see Slayer in, I'll never know. I'm sure they are really decent, honest guys to hang out with and I hope I get to find that out when I meet him.

But Metallica hasn't sold out. They've always been a band who is willing to grow after The Justice album. They wanted to try something new and different, so they did. It earned them millions and that's great. Changing their music or their hairstyles and clothes...that's all fucking retarded reasoning. I hate it when fans clash on which is better, old and new, because there's certainly nothing wrong with either style. I love Metallica and if people want to hate me for it liking albums like Load or Reload, that's fine by me, but I don't march to the beat of others, but my own instead. IF Metallica did sell out, they would have been staying in the past, trying to make nothing but the four records in the 80s over and over again. If that happened, I would have not liked Metallica for it.

Actually I prefer Seasons In The Abyss over Reign In Blood personally. I prefer Slayer over Metallica. I don't consider Slayer boring in the least bit and have to disagree with your comment about them repeating the same lyrics and riffs over and over again. Staying true to your sound doesn't always mean you are playing the same song over and over again. Selling out to me is changing your sound to get more popular. To me that's what Metallica did. They went from playing this amazing thrash metal that was heading in a progressive thrash metal direction and then what did they do? They slowed the tempos down and started writing arena rock/metal. Lars just couldn't let it go that Jethro Tull beat One out for a Grammy. He wanted to make damn sure they got that Grammy the next time around. Enter Sandman. Honestly I think Death Magnetic was kind of essentially close to what the follow up to ...And Justice For All would've sounded like had they continued in the direction that they were heading in after ...And Justice For All.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:43 pm 
Whipping Queen

cwilder86 wrote:

I fail to understand all the Belladonna hate. He fits Anthrax's sound like a glove. Somehow I get the feeling Bush must have an extremely strong following on this message board.

I think for a band to be part of the big 4, they have to have the singer that was there during the 1980's. So Belladonna makes sense. Bush doesn't.

Just like Exodus cannot be a part of the big 4 nostalgia tour without Baloff or Zetro on vocals. Dukes singing for Exodus as part of the big 4 nostalgia tour doesn't make sense.

This big four tour is about cashing in on nostalgia.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:00 pm 
Warlord

cwilder86 wrote: I don't argue with you one bit that the big 4 would be a million times better with Exodus instead of Metallica...

Correction: the Tour would be a million times better if they called it The Best 3 and replaced Megadeth and Anthrax with Exodus.

Ted

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:04 pm 
Warlord

cwilder86 wrote: Lars just couldn't let it go that Jethro Tull beat One out for a Grammy. He wanted to make damn sure they got that Grammy the next time around.

THe Grammys (like the Junos and for the most part the Oscars) are and always have been a farce.

Ted

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:29 pm 
Strike Of The Beast

Dudes! This is crazy, you should debating whether or not Anthrax should be replaced by Exodus, not replacing Metallica for Exodus. Thats like saying Anthrax is more relevant than Metallica in the history of thrash music.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:28 am 
Warlord

eric wrote:
Dudes! This is crazy, you should debating whether or not Anthrax should be replaced by Exodus, not replacing Metallica for Exodus. Thats like saying Anthrax is more relevant than Metallica in the history of thrash music.

Metallica invented (or was at least partially responsible for inventing) thrash music. IMO Anthrax is the Spinal Tap of thrash music: simply a parody. Apparently Anthrax helped out Metallica when they needed a place to stay, etc. in New York (around when Kill 'Em All was recorded I think) so I give them credit for that.

Anyway, I don't want to continue veering off-topic here so let me state that I hope some great quality video footage of Gary playing with Slayer surfaces on the next Slayer and Exodus DVDs that come out.

Btw, does anybody know how Jeff (Hanneman) is doing?

Ted

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:40 am 
Whipping Queen

cwilder86 wrote:
ED24 wrote:
cwilder86 wrote:

Actually I prefer Seasons In The Abyss over Reign In Blood personally. I prefer Slayer over Metallica. I don't consider Slayer boring in the least bit and have to disagree with your comment about them repeating the same lyrics and riffs over and over again. Staying true to your sound doesn't always mean you are playing the same song over and over again. Selling out to me is changing your sound to get more popular. To me that's what Metallica did. They went from playing this amazing thrash metal that was heading in a progressive thrash metal direction and then what did they do? They slowed the tempos down and started writing arena rock/metal. Lars just couldn't let it go that Jethro Tull beat One out for a Grammy. He wanted to make damn sure they got that Grammy the next time around. Enter Sandman. Honestly I think Death Magnetic was kind of essentially close to what the follow up to ...And Justice For All would've sounded like had they continued in the direction that they were heading in after ...And Justice For All.

Do you really think that's how Lars feels about the matter today or are you just speculating on your own behalf? In fact, why not ask the man yourself? I'm sure that he feels a lot differently about the matter than that time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:25 pm 
Fabulous Disaster

ED24 wrote:

Do you really think that's how Lars feels about the matter today or are you just speculating on your own behalf? In fact, why not ask the man yourself? I'm sure that he feels a lot differently about the matter than that time.

Of Course he feels entirely different on the matter dude. Why wouldn't he? He made him self filthy stinking rich! But he let me down as a fan in exchange. And I assure you I'm not the only one either. But hey, who needs a happy fan base when you have that kind of money right?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:27 pm 
Whipping Queen

cwilder86 wrote:
ED24 wrote:

Of Course he feels entirely different on the matter dude. Why wouldn't he? He made him self filthy stinking rich! But he let me down as a fan in exchange. And I assure you I'm not the only one either. But hey, who needs a happy fan base when you have that kind of money right?

The big four nostalgia for money tour is a joke. I'm glad Exodus isn't a part of it to tarnish their name.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:23 am 
Whipping Queen

cwilder86 wrote:
ED24 wrote:

I know, I hear it all the time. People despise Metallica for their new look and their change in music and attitude, but I always keep reminding myself that, as long as I enjoy it, it doesn't matter what the majority thinks in the end. So I love Load, Reload, TBA, all that stuff. Even St. Anger, which is absolutely NOT their best work, but does have its good moments, as well. So it's fine that people love the old stuff more than the new, but as I said a thousand times before, I didn't learn of Metallica's existence until 97, the first record being Reload. Maybe if I had discovered them way early in my youth, I think I would have felt the same way as you are now. *lol*

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:28 am 
Fabulous Disaster

ED24 wrote:
cwilder86 wrote:
ED24 wrote:

I know, I hear it all the time. People despise Metallica for their new look and their change in music and attitude, but I always keep reminding myself that, as long as I enjoy it, it doesn't matter what the majority thinks in the end. So I love Load, Reload, TBA, all that stuff. Even St. Anger, which is absolutely NOT their best work, but does have its good moments, as well. So it's fine that people love the old stuff more than the new, but as I said a thousand times before, I didn't learn of Metallica's existence until 97, the first record being Reload. Maybe if I had discovered them way early in my youth, I think I would have felt the same way as you are now. *lol*

It's all good man. Different strokes for different folks! :) And I just want to clarify that even I can find some redeeming moments and have found some songs I enjoyed from period of Metallica but I just feel it doesn't hold a candle with the early years and I felt like the material should've been a lot stronger like those early years. Perhaps I had put the band on too high of a pedestal? I guess I outta put this topic to rest now so we can get back on the original topic. I've veered this thread off course for long enough now. lol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:08 pm 
Piranha

ED24 wrote:
cwilder86 wrote:

You probably weren't there when R.I.B was released. It changed everything. If you're into Thrash Metal you just cannot hate RIB.
if you hate it, you don't belong in the thrash community because you're hating the best thrash album ever PERIOD (along with BBB and RTL)
PS:Angel of Death has the best lyrics, i guess your hatred is a probably because of your religion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:09 pm 
Piranha

Ted Sallis wrote:
eric wrote:

Metallica invented (or was at least partially responsible for inventing) thrash music. IMO Anthrax is the Spinal Tap of thrash music: simply a parody. Apparently Anthrax helped out Metallica when they needed a place to stay, etc. in New York (around when Kill 'Em All was recorded I think) so I give them credit for that.

Anyway, I don't want to continue veering off-topic here so let me state that I hope some great quality video footage of Gary playing with Slayer surfaces on the next Slayer and Exodus DVDs that come out.

Btw, does anybody know how Jeff (Hanneman) is doing?

Ted

Agree 100%. Never took em seriously and only did when they released their only good album. FOM

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:54 pm 
Warlord

when I saw Slayer play the entire RIB live it was like a 30 minute orgasm, really good stuff! I can agree with that Slayer doesn't have as diverse riffs and different dimentions as Exodus, but it's still one damn good band! their lyrics are a bit simple sometimes, but when I want to turn into a thrashing maniac then it's very suitable *lol* .. and they got it right about one thing!: god do hates us all! :P

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:23 pm 
Whipping Queen

ogrus wrote:

Agree 100%. Never took em seriously and only did when they released their only good album. FOM

I prefer Among the Living.

I though this thread was about the Big 4 nostalgia cashing in tour?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:31 am 
Whipping Queen

ogrus wrote:
ED24 wrote:
cwilder86 wrote:

You probably weren't there when R.I.B was released. It changed everything. If you're into Thrash Metal you just cannot hate RIB.
if you hate it, you don't belong in the thrash community because you're hating the best thrash album ever PERIOD (along with BBB and RTL)
PS:Angel of Death has the best lyrics, i guess your hatred is a probably because of your religion

-I was born in 82. I was alive when R.I.B. came out. But I knew NOTHING of Slayer at the time. And I don't hate thrash at all, I just don't like R.I.B. Also, since when did I say I hate R.I.B.? All I said was that I wasn't impressed by it as much as other people were. Isn't it OK to not like an album for a change instead of following the drum beat of others?
-BBB and RTL are excellent thrash records and I enjoy them a lot. Again, I don't hate it, I just don't like R.I.B. as much and if that offends you, I don't care.
-I am not religious at all. But after hearing a lot of sad tales from a lot of my Jewish friends, whose has members of their families go through the Holocaust and either died or survived it (bless their hearts for doing so, because that was a very tough time in the history of mankind!) I think I have every right to hate the song lyrically. Musically, I'm fine with it. And no, I am not Jewish at all.

PS: The fact that I own Christ Illusion and World Painted Blood alone should tell you that I have warmed up to Slayer and enjoy them, but again, I just feel there's a lot of repetition when it comes to them, especially lyrically, when it's nothing but Satain, violence, terrorism, religion, etc...just the same topics over and over again. But this is what you expect from Slayer. You expect them to be on that path, so I'm now OK with it. It's like how people expect AC/DC to never change...that's understandable. Same thing with Slayer.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:15 am 
Fabulous Disaster

ED24 wrote:
-I am not religious at all. But after hearing a lot of sad tales from a lot of my Jewish friends, whose has members of their families go through the Holocaust and either died or survived it (bless their hearts for doing so, because that was a very tough time in the history of mankind!) I think I have every right to hate the song lyrically. Musically, I'm fine with it. And no, I am not Jewish at all.

Actually concerning the lyrics to Angel Of Death, I don't think they were trying to be pro holocaust, but merely they were telling the story of the atrocities of the holocaust.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:37 am 
Whipping Queen

cwilder86 wrote:
ED24 wrote:

Actually concerning the lyrics to Angel Of Death, I don't think they were trying to be pro holocaust, but merely they were telling the story of the atrocities of the holocaust.

Even if that's the case, man, I still hate the song lyrically. Makes me sick to my stomach every time I hear it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:41 am 
Strike Of The Beast

ED24 wrote:
cwilder86 wrote:

Metallica went from four guys that were metal heads that created music for fans of metal music to four Rock Stars. This mentality as rocks stars got in the way of their music and it shows. Their music has never regained 'the punch' that the first four cds achieved.

I dont know how much influence Lars has in the band, but from the movie they did, looks like he has to much. His whole attitude is a sellout for me. Him complaining about his fans downloading music was bullshit.

Also, Exodus has managed album after album, not to stray from the kind of music they play. Each album pushes boundaries, has a different sound and in one way or another is growth in their musicianship. From what you said about slayer, then Exodus music must have become boring to you?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:45 am 
Strike Of The Beast

cwilder86 wrote:
ED24 wrote:

Jeff Hanneman is a huge war buff, and thats the influence for why he wrote the music and lyrics for AOD.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:46 am 
Strike Of The Beast

cwilder86 wrote:
ED24 wrote:

Jeff Hanneman is a huge war buff, and thats the influence for why he wrote the music and lyrics for AOD.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:52 am 
Whipping Queen

eric wrote:

Metallica went from four guys that were metal heads that created music for fans of metal music to four Rock Stars. This mentality as rocks stars got in the way of their music and it shows. Their music has never regained 'the punch' that the first four cds achieved.

I dont know how much influence Lars has in the band, but from the movie they did, looks like he has to much. His whole attitude is a sellout for me. Him complaining about his fans downloading music was bullshit.

Also, Exodus has managed album after album, not to stray from the kind of music they play. Each album pushes boundaries, has a different sound and in one way or another is growth in their musicianship. From what you said about slayer, then Exodus music must have become boring to you?

That's YOUR opinion and I respect it. You don't like Metallica for what they are now and you don't like Lars because of his attitude or what not, so I can understand that to an extent.

Put yourself in Lars's place; if you were in a band, struggling to make money, big or not, wouldn't you still want to have the choice to decide what to do with your music? I know I would. I would have liked the option of deciding whether or not I want my music to be free. That choice was taken away from Metallica and Metallica fought back for what they thought was right. A lot of artists backed off from Napster because they didn't want to go through the shit storm that Metallica and I think one or two other artists went through. But you know what I hear now? I hear that artists are coming back to Metallica and basically patting them on the back, thanking them for doing that.

You mentioned the very same reason for why I love Exodus currently - album after album, they play differently. They never play the same songs, they never talk about the same shit, each album becoming different. Why do you think I'm here? I'm a HUGE fan of Exodus...I didn't get into them until Tempo Of The Damned creeped into my world and I haven't looked back since. But Slayer's music, for the most part, IS boring to me and I don't find it as enjoyable as some of you other people do. Like I said, I have two albums of theirs, I enjoy listening to them, and have warmed up to them, but some albums from them don't sit well with me, yet a few songs are nevertheless decent.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:52 am 
Strike Of The Beast

eric wrote:
ED24 wrote:
cwilder86 wrote:

How ironic is this? In a discussion about Metallica selling out.

http://www.metallica.com/news/20110613_news.asp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:54 am 
Whipping Queen

eric wrote:
cwilder86 wrote:
ED24 wrote:

Yeah, you're right - I think he stumbled upon the subject matter, found it to be very cool to write about, and did so. I read that in an interview a long time ago.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:18 am 
Strike Of The Beast

The Joker wrote:
when I saw Slayer play the entire RIB live it was like a 30 minute orgasm, really good stuff! I can agree with that Slayer doesn't have as diverse riffs and different dimentions as Exodus, but it's still one damn good band! their lyrics are a bit simple sometimes, but when I want to turn into a thrashing maniac then it's very suitable *lol* .. and they got it right about one thing!: god do hates us all! :P

Slayer to me are the ACDC of thrash. AcDc have managed to use the same five chords for almost forty years now and the still rock. A Slayer album is going to be just that, a Slayer album. This is what set Exodus apart from so many bands, each album really takes on a different sound, yet you know its Exodus and usually its heavier faster and just a little better than their last.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:19 am 
Strike Of The Beast

The Joker wrote:

Slayer to me are the ACDC of thrash. AcDc have managed to use the same five chords for almost forty years now and they still rock. A Slayer album is going to be just that, a Slayer album. This is what sets Exodus apart from so many bands, each album really takes on a different sound, yet you know its Exodus and usually its heavier faster and just a little better than their last.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:13 am 
Whipping Queen

eric wrote:

How ironic is this? In a discussion about Metallica selling out.

http://www.metallica.com/news/20110613_news.asp

And yet, I've seen other bands, like Hanson and now AC/DC, doing the same thing and there are other brands, such as Nintendo or Transformers brand, doing the same thing.

I don't hear any complaints from people about it as much, so why should Metallica be any different?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:09 pm 
Bedlam 1-2-3

Lyrically, Reign in Blood blew a lot of people out of the water when it was first released. I was in high school at the time, and I remember how blown away all us rockers were when we first heard it. Angel of Death, etc. were cutting-edge lyrically and musically. Nowadays, it may not impress as many as it did when it was first released, but I can tell you from personal experience, when RIB dropped, a lot of people woke up and smelled some serious coffee!

I do remember some controversy about the lyrics to Angel of Death and arguments as to whether it was or wasn't pro-Holocaust. Back then, people didn't have the internet to share opinions and such, so a lot of stuff you heard was just bullshit rumors and what you could read in metal magazines. I think most metalheads understood that the song was NOT pro-Holocaust, but a visceral, explicit description of the atrocities that were committed. Of course, there was always bullshit like the PMRC and other uninformed people who tried to put a negative spin on any songs that were sexual, violent, etc. I remember they crawled up in Priest's craw for "Eat Me Alive." Thank you, Tipper Gore!

All I know is that my friends and I had many thrashing good times to RIB, Pleasures of the Flesh, and various other albums that exist now for me only on cassette (and that's if I can FIND the cassettes). We explored a lot of thrash back in the day - a lot of it good, some of it terrible. One of the earliest I remember digging was Celtic Frost's "Morbid Tales." If you haven't heard that, you should check it out!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:54 pm 
Warlord

ogrus wrote: (RIB is) the best thrash album ever PERIOD (along with BBB and RTL).

I don't know when or if I've read more profound and true words in these forums than the statement above.

Ted

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 592 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 20  Next