The Official EXODUS Forum

THE BONDED BY BLOOD CULT
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Rock & Rolla Interviews Gary Holt
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:45 am 
Whipping Queen

I recently had an opportunity to interview Gary Holt founding member of Bay Area Thrash band Exodus. Exodus are one of the pioneers of thrash metal in fact Metallica owes a debt to Exodus as Kirk Hammett left the band to audition for the Metallica gig. Slayer, Megadeth, Metallica and Anthrax are The Big Four but bands like Testament, Overkill and Exodus make a good argument for there to be room for expansion. Exodus will release their follow up to The Atrocity Exhibition...Exhibit A on May 18th it's entitled Exhibit B: The Human Condition. The album picks up sonically, musically and lyrically where it's predecessor left off. Check out the interview and if you like music on the heavier side check out the new album Exhibit B: The Human Condition. I highly recommend it.

Gary you and Exodus just wrapped up a spring run with Megadeth. How did that go for you guys?

It was awesome man. We got an opportunity to go out on the road with our old friends in Megadeth and Testament. The tour also sold out night after night it was a good time to reconnect with Dave again. It was a total blast man.

You guys got a chance to play probably to some new audience on this particular tour how was that for you guys?

Actually it was the complete opposite, our audience over the past couple of tours have gotten younger. I agree that putting these three bands together for a tour would bring some of the older fans out for mere nostalgia. Most of the shows we saw the young kids out there. I think there were two shows where there were a lot of the fans that were long in the tooth. We’d play something and get a pit going and they didn’t move! It was like “what’s wrong with you guys? Are your hips as bad as mine?!” (laughs). We’re glad they made it but it would have been great if they got into the show.

How was it working with Dave Mustaine on a day to day basis? Some have said he’s difficult to work with. How is your relationship with the guy?

I can’t speak for anyone else but I like the guy. He and I go way back as you know it has been great to get to reconnect with him. He was gracious enough to think of us and get us on this tour. He’s been nothing but a good friend to me.

You’ve done three studio records and a live album with Rob Dukes. For those that haven’t heard this incarnation of Exodus what does Rob bring to the band?

A new found energy and aggression that’s in perfect synchronicity with what we are doing musically right now. We are full on garage thrash metal band; we have gotten more and more aggressive as the years have gone by. Rob brings out that fury and rage out in the band, both in studio and in the live setting that the songs so require.

So for those that might consider Rob the new guy isn’t necessarily fair?

No at all. Rob and Lee (Altus) joined the band at the same time. Which was about five years ago, so in terms of being in the band they haven’t been here as long as I have but it wouldn’t be fair to say that they are new. These guys didn’t join Exodus yesterday or anything.

When you released you last album of original material The Atrocity Exhibition… Exhibit A. Was there any material written at that time that made onto this new album?

Yeah there were three tracks that made it onto Exhibit B: The Human Condition and I think there was a bonus track “Devil’s Teeth” which is on the U.S. pressing. “Class Dismissed” is one of the tracks that was completed but we changed a few things around and we needed to rewrite some of the lyrics.

Was the plan originally to get these two albums out fair quickly? I recall getting the ’07 press release and it sounded like there were to be issued within the same year.

Well the idea to release two albums like that was because we wrote and wrote and we just had so much material. Releasing a double album didn’t make financial sense. There was even talk about part way through the tour of Exhibit A that we release an E.P. but I said fuck it let’s keep touring and when we get back into the studio we’ll work on the next album. Well that tour lasted close to two years and by the time we got back to the studio we wrote some more and we decide only to use some of the songs that we had intended on using.

There’s nothing left over at this point then?

Nothing except a cover of Scorpions’ “Don’t Make No Promises That Your Body Can’t Keep” which is the bonus track for Japan. It’s a fucking rockin’ track man, it turned out killer. We tracked another cover that we’ll use at some point but I won’t comment on that one right now. Exodus is tapped out right now as far as songs.

How did you guys settle on the Scorpions cover?

Tom (Hunting) was doing his drum tracks one night and he called me and he said that we had some time for some more recording. The idea to do the same came up; we played that song during our early Exodus days. Since Tom was familiar with the song and it didn’t require me to be there. I asked him to speed it up a bit which he did and when I came into the studio next I laid down my guitar on it and it turned out killer.

You guys once again used Andy Sneap who has become the go to guy for many bands these days. This has been a long lasting partnership between you guys and Andy.

Right we’ve been working with Andy since 1997 when we recorded Another Lesson In Violence. First and foremost Andy is a friend of ours. Working with Andy isn’t considered work because he’s one of us and we’re just having a fantastic time the whole time. It’s very loose, humorous and we see eye to eye. He knows and I know what works for this band and he gets the best out of us. He’s a great producer; engineer and he get the best mixes. He’s on top of his game and that’s why he’s in high demand.

You recall when you met Andy for the first time?

I had met Andy back when he was in Sabbat. When it came time to record the live album with Paul (Baloff) his name came up a few times. He was this young up and coming producer. We met and felt that he was the right guy and went for it. As you can hear it came out brutally heavy. While we might have only worked on that album for a few days the relationship has last 13 years now.

You and the band have a handful of special release parties scheduled for the album coming up in the next few weeks. Aside from those select dates what are the touring plans to promote Exhibit B: The Human Condition?

Right now this is tentative, but we’re planning on hitting the road in The United States around the second week of August. We’re still working things out at this time but that’s what we are hoping for. We’ll be headlining this particular upcoming tour in America. We were trying to get out and play the States in May but we had conflicting schedules with some dates we have in Europe so it just wasn’t possible. I think I first festival show in Europe is June 18th. That’s just not a lot of time to do a proper tour of America you know. So that’s why we’ll be doing some select shows here in California and then we’ll hit the U.S. at full force in August.

What’s the make up on the set list? Is it going to be heavy on the last two studio albums or will it be balanced retrospective of the band’s career?

We’ll always do the classic stuff like; “Bonded By Blood,” “Toxic Waltz” and stuff like that but we also love doing the new shit. That’s why we as a band do this in the first place. We don’t make albums to hit the road and just play the classics. We have to get the new stuff played too it keeps it fresh for us. So we’ll be playing a fair share of the newer material.

What are some new tracks that you’d like to make it onto the set list?

That’s hard to say. I won’t comment because that could get you into trouble. Sometime you think the song that will go over the best with the fans doesn’t and other times the least likely becomes that fan favorite. I’ll say this we’ll have our work cut out for us in the coming weeks trying to get the set list together.

Thanks for your time Gary have a safe trip to Europe and we’ll see you when you hit the road in August.

Thank you for your time look forward to talking to you again.

Thanks to Loana @ Nuclear Blast for coordinating the interview it was greatly appreciated.

http://rockandrollazine.blogspot.com/20 ... -gary.html

Post subject: Re: Rock & Rolla Interviews Gary Holt
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:00 pm 
Fabulous Disaster

Once again, kickass posting the interview. Good questions this time around. Nothing about Kirk fucking Hammett finally. As long as they're somewhere near the east coast I'm there. (Starland Ballroom in NJ GUYS!!!)

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:19 pm 
Whipping Queen

After reading this interview, I can't help but wonder what was the other cover song they did?

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:12 pm 
Warlord

ED24 wrote:
After reading this interview, I can't help but wonder what was the other cover song they did?

You, me and I'm sure a lot of others are/will be wondering the same thing now that the cat's out of the bag!

Ted

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:26 pm 
Whipping Queen

Ted Sallis wrote:
ED24 wrote:

You, me and I'm sure a lot of others are/will be wondering the same thing now that the cat's out of the bag!

Ted

Maybe that unnamed cover will end up on a b-side or something?

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:00 am 
Warlord

^^^ Maybe so, same as 'Good Morning' and 'Free for All', 2 Exodus covers from the 'Impact' era.

Ted